Saturday 14 November 2009

Sign 4- "There's no such thing as free speech in politics"

Brief: illustrate a headline from the 5th of November 2009, headline: "There's no such thing as free speech in politics" from The times (we weren't suppose to base the illustration on the article, just on the headline). Part of the point of this project was to make us understand how it is to work under pressure for time a bit more like an editorial illustrator would I think.

At first I'd left the speech bubbles blank, but when I showed it to people outside from the illustration studio, they didn't really get it, when I told them they were speech bubbles they went "oooh!", I guess that's the problem if you only get feedback from classmates and tutors, we forget a bit how other people see it.

With the blank speech bubbles.. which don't look like speech bubbles apparently.

A lot of people liked this idea best, I did too, but it's true that it isn't as original.



I was gonna go with this idea for the final, but when it came to doing it in the studio and I didn't have the right materials with me, it went wrong and I got sick of it, so I went back to one of the first roughs I did that I liked better.

No comments:

Post a Comment